With lagging individual member Medicare enrollments, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSMI) was looking for a more robust initiative to encourage current individual plan members aging into 65 to transition to a BCBSMI Medicare Advantage plan.
As boomers are aging into 65 they are not exhibiting the same level of brand loyalty characteristic of their parents’ generation. They receive a barrage of information about a year before their 65th birthday from competitors.
Our strategy for improving results for BCBSMI included:
- Communicating with members about the Medicare transition earlier than 120 days out
- Incorporating a warmer tone and connecting directly with member
- Positioning the change to Medicare Advantage as an easy and automatic transition
- Including more information about the preferred Medicare Advantage product and its benefits as well as alternative Blue option
- Integrating a multichannel approach including Direct Mail, Outbound Telephone and Digital
The revised creative incorporated a combination of Blue branding and direct response best practices resulting in communications that are easy to read and understand and instill a sense of confidence in BCBSMI and the automatic enrollment process.
The new Automatic Enrollment communications are generating a 10-fold increase in conversion with 50 to 60 percent of individual plan members transitioning to a Blue plan.
RELATED BLOG POST